Welcome to a blog about a foodie's attempts to indulge her love of good food and wine on a tight budget. In a city without a Whole Foods. In a state with archaic alcohol laws. Did I mention the tight budget?

Friday, May 12, 2006

Penne Rigati with Vodka Sauce, or, What to Do When You Screw Up Making Tacos

Right now, I'm not living up to the name "foodie". Last night was supposed to be Taco Night, a night of relaxing in front of the TV with whatever Netflix DVD we had at the moment and stuffing our faces with soft-shell tacos. Tacos are a super-duper easy meal that just requires the use of one measly pan, a cutting board and a knife. (Plates are optional, if you are good at managing drippage. I am not.) I mean, how can you screw up tacos, for crying out loud! Well, folks, it's awfully easy to do so if you let your ground chuck become a training ground for the Army of the Bacteriological Republic. Yep, stinky beef is what I found myself faced with last night. After teaching the cooties on the beef a few four-letter words and playing the "No, you take it to the dumpster" game with Daniel, I had to figure out what to fix for dinner. So what elegant, delightful delicacy did I prepare? Why, jarred spaghetti sauce and pasta, of course. May the kitchen gods forgive me.

To make matters worse, the bargain basement Cotes du Rhone I opened to go with the pasta had cork taint. Maybe it was the kitchen gods way of telling me not to drink cheap, sour French vin de pays. Since I didnt have any wine with dinner, I decided to make myself a cocktail afterward before heading upstairs to bed. Im not sure if this drink has an official name, but I call it a Coconut Cream Pie. This ones sweet enough to have as a dessert; enjoy!


Coconut Cream Pie Cocktail

1 part coconut flavored rum, such as Captain Morgan Parrot Bay or Malibu
2 parts Caramel Temptation Cream Liqueur
Ice

Stir the rum and liqueur together; pour into glass over ice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home