Welcome to a blog about a foodie's attempts to indulge her love of good food and wine on a tight budget. In a city without a Whole Foods. In a state with archaic alcohol laws. Did I mention the tight budget?

Monday, May 15, 2006

Weekend Chop Suey

Every Monday someone at the office asks, "How was your weekend?" My answer never changes: "Too short". I actually had a dinner party planned for Friday night, but had to cancel when my guests had a family emergency. We'll try again this Friday, and see how it goes. Saturday was rather dull, and that is just how I like my Saturdays. Sunday was Mother's Day, and DEH went with me to visit my family, who all live about an hour's drive away. We had lunch at my grandmother's, which was typical Southern fare: chicken and dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans, ham, black-eyed peas, sweet peas, rolls, etc. For dessert, among other wonderful things, were two of my favorite treats that Grandma makes: Caramel Cake and Magic Brownies. I don't have the recipe for the Caramel Cake (yet), but Magic Brownies are an easy dessert that require very little effort. A word to the wise: if you have a mixer on hand, do yourself a favor and use it, as the batter can get very thick.

Magic Brownies

Brownies:
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 stick margarine or butter
2 eggs

Topping:
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
2 eggs
1 box (16 oz.) powdered sugar

Mix ingredients for the brownies just until moistened (don't worry about lumps). Spread mixture in the bottom of a lightly greased 9" x 13" baking pan. Mix ingredients for the topping and pour over the top of the brownies. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 25-30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home